Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


How are you everyone? It's been ages since I wrote my last post. I have been extremely busy with moving home and with my work, I hardly had spare time to write a blog post. I missed all your lovely posts.

Today I am going to share with you sugar-free date cake I made for my diabetic father-in-law. I think dates have their own sweetness but not adding extra sugar in a cake is ideal for diabetic patient. Not only my father-in-law but the whole family loved this cake.

I cut the cake into cubes (it was my husband's idea) which was ideal to serve with tea or coffee. I hope you'll enjoy.

sugar-free date cake cubes

Ingredients:
  • 100g butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 10-12 dates, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 3 tablespoon milk powder (for milky flavour)
  • 3-4 tablespoon milk for thinning the batter (optional)
Preparation:
  • Preheat oven at 180C.
  • Grease your non-stick cake pan with butter or margarine.
  • Melt butter in a saucepan. As the butter starts melting, remove from heat.
sugar-free date cake cubes
  • Add eggs and mix well.
  • Add flour and dates and mix well.

sugar-free date cake cubes
  • Pour the mixture into a cake pan. I used a bread pan so that it would be easier to cut into cubes.
sugar-free date cake cubes
  • Bake it for around 35-40 minutes.
  • To test if the cake is ready to be taken out, pierce a toothpick or a fork and see if it comes out clean. If not, put it back into the oven for 5 more minutes and repeat the test.
  • Cool the cake and cut it into cubes for easy serving.
sugar-free date cake cubes



    8 comments:

      Anna's Table said...
      Welcome back, and hope the move went well. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Will be sure to share it with a family member who is also diabetic.
    1. ... on January 24, 2011 at 3:52 AM  
    2. Peggy said...
      This looks so tasty! Love the idea of having the dates be the sweetener in this!
    3. ... on January 24, 2011 at 6:32 AM  
    4. Angie's Recipes said...
      Healthy and delicious! I haven't had one date cake for a LONG while. Kinda miss them.
    5. ... on January 24, 2011 at 6:46 AM  
    6. Elisabeth said...
      So glad that you are settled with your move, and came back to the blog...I missed you!
      Love your version of the date cake, so comforting and yummy. Dates really are so sweet, naturally and it's a perfect idea to bake it without adding sugar.
      You're such a nice daughter-in-law, I'm sure it was all gone in no time!
    7. ... on January 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM  
    8. Mary Bergfeld said...
      Welcome back. It is good to see you posting. I love the idea of cubing the cake. The size is perfect to serve with coffee or tea. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
    9. ... on January 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM  
    10. Magic of Spice said...
      Glad to see you back :) What a great idea to cube it like this...I love dates and these would make a wonderful treat.
    11. ... on February 1, 2011 at 2:57 PM  
    12. Spoon and Chopsticks said...
      Thanks all for your lovely words.
    13. ... on February 6, 2011 at 9:16 AM  
    14. Unknown said...
      That looks like an easy to follow recipe - Just came back from a trip to Dubai with a LOT of dates :) Will try it out soon - cheers, priya
    15. ... on February 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM  
    All recipes are on Petitchef

    Like My Blog? Follow Me

    Like Me on Facebook

    Grab My Badge

    Spoon and Chopsticks

    Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.