Follow Me on Twitter
Spoon and Chopsticks Facebook Page
Follow by email:


This hot and spicy Korean kimchi stew/soup (also known as Kimchi JJigae) is one of my favourite winter dishes. It is a complete dish in itself as it includes meat, vegetables, tofu and soup along with the unique spicy flavour. I usually make this stew with the old kimchi that has been sitting in the fridge for some time. I like to have this dish with a bowl of rice.

You can also make a vegetarian version of this stew by replacing meat with mushrooms.

Kimchi Jjigae

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups kimchi with juice, chopped into small pieces
  • 300g pork belly, thinly sliced
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 cups of water
  • Few thick slices of tofu
  • 3 strips of spring onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/2 medium-size onion, sliced
  • Salt if necessary
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp Korean red pepper powder or to taste
  • 1 tbsp Korean red pepper paste
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
Preperation:
  • In a deep pot or saucepan, put onion, kimchi along with the juice and pork.
  • Add garlic, sugar, red pepper powder and red pepper paste.
  • Add half of the spring onion now, leave the rest aside for later.
  • Pour water. Cover the lid and boil it 20-25 minutes in a medium-high heat.
  • Add tofu and cook for 5 minutes.
  • Before serving, add the rest of the spring onion and sesame oil.


13 comments:

    Adina said...
    Today is windy and I can almost imagine myself enjoying a bowl of this!
  1. ... on July 31, 2011 at 11:45 PM  
  2. Unknown said...
    Your kimchi jjigae looks great. It's definitely one of my favorites too. It's best when made with fatty pork.
  3. ... on August 1, 2011 at 1:29 AM  
  4. Veronica's Kitchen said...
    I would love to have one, it looks so tasty and comforting!
  5. ... on August 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM  
  6. Jeannie said...
    That's a very delicious and warming looking soup, love the color, spicy!:D
  7. ... on August 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM  
  8. cooking varieties (wan maznah said...
    hi spoon and chopsticks, how are you.. i have to go look up at the supermarket and look out for kimchi- am learning this new name (to me) and will replace the pork with chicken or beef.

    hey i saw the delicious laksa fish ball soup. will take a look? have a nice day
  9. ... on August 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM  
  10. Angie's Recipes said...
    So very appetizing and loaded with flavours! I would love lots of tofu in it.
  11. ... on August 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM  
  12. briarrose said...
    Spicy and tasty. Wonderful soup.
  13. ... on August 1, 2011 at 11:51 PM  
  14. Miss Chopsticks said...
    OK this looks ridiculously delicious.
  15. ... on August 2, 2011 at 8:36 AM  
  16. Unknown said...
    Kimchi is something I have yet to try but a spicy soup like this is definately something I would like.
  17. ... on August 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM  
  18. raquel @ erecipe said...
    it is rainy season here and I know this recipe will makes me hot =) and actually I really love korean and indian recipe I love chili spice taste
  19. ... on August 5, 2011 at 7:45 AM  
  20. Kate@FudgyGoodness said...
    This looks absolutely gorgeous and so perfect for winter. Thanks for sharing!
  21. ... on August 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM  
  22. mjskit said...
    This does sounds like a wonderful winter soup!!! Unfortunately, I don't have any kimchi sitting around in my fridge :), but I did look at your kimchi recipe. Fantastic!!!! We had some really bad kimchi at a restaurant the other day and my husband said "You need to learn how to make this!" So thanks so much for all of your wonderful recipes!!!! Great site!
  23. ... on August 23, 2011 at 2:10 AM  
  24. Padmajha said...
    I love kimchi and this soup is so tempting. I will give it a try, but got to prepare kimchi first :)
  25. ... on September 14, 2011 at 2:24 AM  
All recipes are on Petitchef

Like My Blog? Follow Me

Like Me on Facebook

Grab My Badge

Spoon and Chopsticks

Copy and paste the text below on your blog's sidebar widget.