Red beans are a good source of iron and protein. Red beans are also very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. To make it as a full meal, you may also add some cooked pasta or rice. It also goes very well with any type of bread. This delicious homemade red kidney beans in tomato sauce is also a good substitute for red meat.
For this recipe, I have used dry red kidney beans as they don't contain any preservatives and they are cheaper. However, you can also use canned beans for this recipe.
- 1/2 cup of dry red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of plain pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of water
- Coriander to garnish
- Boil the red kidney beans in salted water until they are soft. Once its cooked, drain and put aside.
- Heat the oil in sauce pan and cook the onions until they are brown.
- Add the pasta sauce, cumin powder, salt and pepper. Stir it well and cook for 2 minutes to get aroma of cumin.
- Add water and wait till it comes to boil.
- Add the red kidney beans, tomato sauce and sugar. Simmer it until the sauce is thick or the consistency you like.
- Garnish it with some coriander or any other fresh herbs.